Thursday, November 5, 2009

My Beautiful Downtown Experience


You might have heard last month stories of downtown property owners offering artists spaces in some vacant spots around downtown. So recently I had an opportunity to move into one of these artist spaces downtown with eight others. Its the 6200 square ft, second floor Hemming Plaza space above Hemming Jewelers. Out of the twenty days we have had the space I've spent at least fifteen of those nights in the space working. The vibe downtown and being able to have a place to work downtown is an amazing feeling. Looking back at the first time I was there, I knew being there in the daytime was going to present a problem. Finding parking in the area is difficult due to the heavy traffic around Hemming Plaza. The parking is also limited to one hour. I screen print, so printing a series of posters and moving my car every hour is just not going to work. The first time I go to move my car the ink would dry in the screen and be unusable. I began to think about the option of biking from my place in Springfield and it's something I plan on doing in the future. I thought about getting a spot in a garage but most places average about 2/3 the price of my rent. Being there for not even twenty days of signing a lease, I should have read the fine print. Not the one on the lease but the one of committing to being downtown.

I recently have been carpooling with my fiance to work, she works in the Modis building and has a spot in a parking garage. This is convenient if I need to drive somewhere and she lets me borrow the car. Granted it is six blocks away but the walk is nice and is easier than running up and down and moving around every hour.




So being there I'm thinking even with the garage space this is a little stressful, and how I feel sorry for the other eight artist renting with me who don't have the pleasure of a free garage space. Then last Monday comes along...I have to say I have been driving for over fifteen years and I know how to read all traffic signs and I've been an American all my life. We have a sign near our front door that reads that it is a freight loading zone with 1 hour parking only. I'm thinking this means if I need to move something into my space it is okay to park there. I move most of my stuff in at night so I have never really used this parking space except one day where I ran back in forth up the elevator hurrying to not use the space for longer than 1 hour. So Monday I had a couple paintings I was bringing up for Art Walk. I parked in the freight loading zone to bring up my paintings and supplies, which took a few trips, and when I came down fifteen minutes later, I noticed that I had been ticketed. First thing I do is look for the parking enforcer, I'm so upset. I want to tell him he gave me a ticket by mistake. I look for him for an hour but I couldn't find him it. So I went home to do some research on coj.net, and the website states:

Q. Who can use Freight Loading Zones?

A. Designated Freight Loading Zones (FLZ) are for the expeditious loading and unloading of freight. Commercial vehicles properly displaying company logos in the standardized format or individuals purchasing a FLZ permit from the Public Parking division may utilize a space for the one-hour limit as posted. Certain circumstances may arise that require someone without proper signage or documentation to park in a loading zone. If this occurs, the time must be brief as in a "dropping off or picking up" situation.


A brief dropping off or picking up situation. I think I fit in that category. So I called the number on the bottom of the citation to talk to someone about the issue. The second I tell him my reason for calling he gets standoffish. I have this feeling he gets called a lot. He tells me he can't do anything and if I want to dispute it I can go to court. I get pissed and tell him that would take so much time it's easier to just pay the $25 ticket. I tell him that the telephone call was pointless and I don't even know why he has a job to answer a phone to explain to me what's already on the ticket.


I made these because I was so upset I couldn't work. Image is not against Downtown Vision, just referencing Downtown's new recognizable icon.

I know Jacksonville makes money off these citations. I know there is a such thing as parking illegally. Most people do not own a parking meter code violation book. I think where I parked was misleading, even the website contradicts why I got this ticket.



I honestly feel like I was doing something good for the city. The reason I'm in that space is to help get people downtown. I got a ticket moving artwork in so I can participate in Art Walk and get people downtown. I feel like the city has a system built so they can reach in my pocket to take out some money and make me jump through hoops to get it back. The citation has since created a different outlook on downtown for me. I feel like I got mugged by the people I'm trying to help. I honestly have seen a glimpse into why downtown is the way it is and seen how it is impossible for a small business owner or even someone wanting to shop to not feel the pressure of the parking situation. I couldn't imagine living in downtown with the expensive rent and the added expense of a parking garage. Then having family and friends over and having to deal with the possibility of them getting ticketed. Because eventually they will get ticketed, guaranteed.

I decided that I was going to just pay the citation, not because I think I'm guilty, I just feel disgusted I'm even in this situation. I want to get it over and I don't want to go to court. The city has it set up to where if you want to dispute it you have go down to their office, you can't call or set a court date online. So you have to go down there, then set a court date for another day. For most people thats 2 days away from work.

I am also torn on what it is I'm working on by being in downtown. I don't like the idea of encouraging someone in something that will eventually lead to disappointment. Would you want to own a business if you had to move your car every hour or pay a monthly payment in a garage for you and your employees. Would you want to live in a place your friends and family had to pay a fee to visit you. A place where you couldn't watch a movie without them having to move their vehicle around the block half way through it. Imagine a mother not having money for a parking garage space and having to move all day with a baby. It almost seems like a way to keep people with little income out of Downtown.

posted by tom p.

12 comments:

Unknown on November 5, 2009 at 10:25 PM said...

First I love how the meter maggot is giving you the finger in the picture.

Second, how much could that fat bastard benefit from riding bike all day?

Always remember Tom: Meter Maggots eat their young.

DAILEY on November 6, 2009 at 10:42 AM said...

Tom,
I enjoyed reading this but couldnt help to think to myself "what else is new". The city is only concerned about milking everyone of what little money they have and not providing a fast track when mistakes are made by their employees. They make things as difficult as they can to fight back, that people just have to pay these rediculous fines because the time it takes to dispute anything ends up costing you more. They manipulate people into just accepting these fines. You should do more stories like this.

The Urban Core on November 6, 2009 at 11:01 AM said...

Tom,
I think you should do more with this. Here are my thoughts. You have a commercial use of that space that fits the code. If you have a logo on your car it would help but I think the use of the space is easy to prove commercial. In fact. You could get your artist friends, multiple patrons, and most likely DVI itself (who helped make your space happen for the reason you were loading) to testify of your use of the space. By going and fighting this harassment you are representing all of those people who can't afford to. I think you can not only get this ticket taken care of, I think you can actually effect change by bringing DVI in on the next step of satisfying logistics challenges in an art forward city WHILE exposing a misguided and uncaring parking set up that is intentionally vague and framed by punishment not education. I also think that while city parking business gets exposed and improved the best options are all private. Some are $3 all day with a two block walk (thinking across main from library). Other than that I think its a great bike downtown commercial too. I don't think DVI will be hurt by your graphics. Clever and your cause needs attention. I would get them involved in the education of the city parking dept of what art walk is (six years after it started). Don't get me started on these guys checking tags on private lots while their car takes up a meter space.

Abhishek on November 6, 2009 at 11:02 AM said...

There should be an easier way to dispute this. Maybe involve a supervisor and the ticketing officer for 30 mins can solve the problem. It also saves money for the city by not using the judge's and the court's time.

The ticketing officer should also have some kind of a record that you were there for longer than 30 mins or what ever qualifies for a short duration.

I say go to court if you have the time and make an example of this.

Anonymous said...

Hey Tom, I feel ya man. After being a part of Art Walk and a member of the Art Center I have gotten like 4 tickets, usually during the day, because I am either dropping off work, cleannig the gallery, hanging my work etc, etc...all to be a part of Art Walk. It is nearly imposible to work on anything while your downtown unless you do it after 6pm. Its real shitty when your doing something good for art and culture in Jax and then get a ticket for being parked somewhere for 15min. Oh well, it is what it is.

Braze-on Dropout on November 6, 2009 at 2:55 PM said...

http://whacksonville.com/2009/11/06/important-breaking-news/

duval destroyer on November 6, 2009 at 11:34 PM said...

thanks for bringing this up. i got a $25 ticket for the same thing the first week in the space. It seems we have to pay the city $50 a year for a decal or have logos on both sides of our vehicles. just to use to loading zones in front of our space. i was going to go fight the ticket but didn't want to pay to park again.

ithinkus...youstinkus on November 14, 2009 at 12:25 AM said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
polkatronixx on November 14, 2009 at 6:27 AM said...

For what it's worth, Tom, I think the City has you dead to rights on this one. A private car is not a 'commercial vehicle,' so you'd have trouble making much of a case for yourself (even though you were loading or unloading artwork over that time period). Secondly, it seems you were parked there for at least 15 minutes, which clearly is longer than a 'quick pick up/drop off' scenario. I can appreciate your complaint, but I don't think you have a leg to stand on, legally. It might also help to put parking restrictions into context: there is limited parking downtown. If business owners and people who work there were allowed to park in those spots for hours on end, there wouldn't be anywhere for your (or their) customers to park. And there aren't lots of places to go downtown and 'make a day of it' shopping or whatever. So it's hard to justify paying to park in a garage. These parking meters actually help downtown businesses.

David W. on November 14, 2009 at 12:01 PM said...

Sorry that comment just before yours was not worth the discussion. Lets keep the objectivity relevant.

asb on November 24, 2009 at 6:55 AM said...

"I have to say ... and I've been an American all my life."

Do you mean that in your opinion an American citizen should be treated differently before the law than, say, a legal immigrant?

jaxscene on December 4, 2009 at 11:18 AM said...

i was just saying i would like to think i know american driving laws.

Back the f up see more homie

JaxScene Mobile

Archive

Followers

 

Hit Counter

JAXSCENE. Copyright 2011 All Rights Reserved. Founded by Tom Pennington. "Revolution Two Church" theme heavily restructured and graphic designed by David Welch. jaxscenedavid@gmail.com