Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Harvest of Hope Highlights


By now you've probably seen Tom's kickass pics from last weekend's Harvest of Hope Fest so I don't have to tell you that it was AWESOME! But I'm going to anyway. At length, so deal with it.

In my experience, festivals of this magnitude don't happen all that often around these parts so I saw no choice but to attend. Plus, the lineup! Bad Brains, Propaghandi doing their first show in the US since Bush took office, The National, Against Me!, Black Kids, GZA et cetera, et cetera! And what a bargain at $40 for all three days and $30 for 4 camping passes. So what's your excuse, hmmm?

Honestly, I don't really remember that many details (it was that kind of weekend) other than what was documented with pictures but I'll do my best to recount some of the highlights for you in the following unordered list (the links are to the pics):

  • Okay, Day 1 kinda sucked. Uh, Girl Talk? Pretty much exactly what you'd expect. White kid hipster dance party mosh pit hump-fest. Fun, sorta, but lost it's flare real quick-like. At one point, the DJ guy (let's be honest, that's all he is) was on the table, broke it, and the music didn't evn skip. You do the math.

  • Getting faded with the Zombie Bikes crew however never gets old! Reax Magazine hooked the zombies up with passes to hold workshops and let folks ride the tall bikes.

  • Camping was a blast! We grilled hot dogs (the vegans grilled PBJs) and sang kumbayah (not really). Swarms of dirty hippies kept us up all night with their drum circles leaving us no choice but to keep drinking Natty Light late into the evening.

  • Waking up at 9am because it was cold when you went to bed but the sun is beating on you like Mother Superior in Catholic school and you're swimming in sweat is actually a great way to start the day. I'm not kidding. One bottle of H2O and it's party on!

  • Getting a tight buzz before 11am. Always a good time!

  • Riding the tall bike with said buzz, even better!

  • Day 2 was a vast improvement. Saw some old favorites and was introduced to some great stuff I'd never heard before like Lymbyc Systym.

  • Photo pass!

  • Jacksonville was representing too! BLORR and Sunbears! played and hopefully made some new fans out of the crowd.

  • I personally got a kick out of seeing Bad Brains for the first time. HR is one wild dude. But I can totally see how a lot of people were saddened by the performance.

  • Tilly and the Wall - first time I saw them I was blown away by the concept but now I think the novelty has worn off and I couldn't get into it.

  • Propaghandi played their first show in the states since Bush took office. That's a helluva grudge! Good stuff.

  • Hammocks!

  • Being too drunk to even watch any more music.

  • The Monotonix rocked our faces off and showed us their hairy Israeli asses in the process. So much dirt!

  • MURS + Whole Wheat Bread = The Invincibles. Sang a song about I-10. DUUUUUVAAAL!

  • Kool Kieth's filthy-ass mouth.

  • Black Kids reppin J-ville!

  • Being too partied out to even stay for like half the bands I was there to see in the first place.


Okay, that last one wasn't that awesome at all, but it was an all around killer time with good music and good friends and no showering and a wicked sunburn and powerful lust for red salmon, ha! (again, not really)...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

my face is peeling like a ninth grade beach girl. on the brighter side my thirst for joose is running rampant and unruly. ZBBC will party til' we're dead and then come back to life looking for brains as well as scrap bike to weld together and party upon.

Anonymous said...

We camped as well. Got in Friday, left Monday.

Great time. There are some pics and a write up on my blog.

Rob said...

haha i'm the filthy hippie who started those drum circles. my b for keeping you up all night.

Back the f up see more homie

JaxScene Mobile

Archive

Followers

 

Hit Counter

JAXSCENE. Copyright 2011 All Rights Reserved. Founded by Tom Pennington. "Revolution Two Church" theme heavily restructured and graphic designed by David Welch. jaxscenedavid@gmail.com