Sunday, February 15, 2009

Make A Pledge To Participate


At first I was going to set out and knock on doors and businesses and ask them to participate in this world wide event that started in Sydney, Australia two years ago. 2.2 million people turned off their lights for one hour. Last year 400 cities in every continent participated, some iconic landmarks that participated were Sydney Opera House, Bangkok's Wat Arun Buddhist temple, the Coliseum in Rome, Stockholm's Royal Castle, London's City Hall, New York's Empire State Building, Sears Tower in Chicago and the Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco. Other symbols going dark included Cola-Cola's famous billboard in Times Square and the Google homepage.
With less then 41 days and a busy schedule I realized it would be difficult to propose this idea to a city that I think should naturally should come up with their own ideas to stay in touch with the rest of the world.

So all I want to do is ask people to make a pledge to participate. Comment and tell me what you're going to do to participate.
Things you can do:
Turn you house lights off for 1 hour.
Ask your neighbor to turn their lights off for 1 hour.
If you have connections with local stores, lighted city landmarks and restaurants ask them to participate.
Have a blog post a link to this pledge post.

Whatever you can do to turn off the lights pledge it by commenting, spread the word.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm going to turn my lights off @ 8:30 for a hour possibly longer and try my best to spread the word.

Anonymous said...

I'll do it. Seems like a pretty easy thing to live without for an hour . Especially if it makes a difference.

JennyK on February 17, 2009 at 8:51 AM said...

Of course I'll do it. I think someone needs to have a party. Maybe in Memorial Park? Bands playing acoustic, picnic blankets.

robyn said...

I will turn off my lights and unplug everything all day long. I wish I could live like that forever. LIve in the sunshine instead of standard a-line lighting.

Back the f up see more homie

JaxScene Mobile

Archive

Followers

 

Hit Counter

JAXSCENE. Copyright 2011 All Rights Reserved. Founded by Tom Pennington. "Revolution Two Church" theme heavily restructured and graphic designed by David Welch. jaxscenedavid@gmail.com