Monday, June 15, 2009

Jaxscene: This Week 5 years ago


I sometimes wonder if there are people that just find JaxScene for the first time and end up wasting a whole day going through all the older pictures.... probably not. Anyways with that in mind I thought "This week 5 years ago" might be be cool idea. This is the first installment I'll see how it goes.

This week five years ago there was a Art show in Springfield at the building I still currently reside in. Well that is at least till the end of the month. Our building like many of my landlords building(Craig Van horn) is being foreclosed on and is up for auction on the June 24th. Five years ago there was no Pearl or Shanty Town and I'm sure about midnight people started leaving the party to go to The Art Bar. At this time there were six artist and four people in bands in the building. We would all just open our doors, invite a couple bands, friends, and a DJ and leave our current work out for people to see. We really didn't have neighbors so we didn't worry so much about noise.



Shaun Thurston doing tricks in a wheelchair that was found left in our parking lot. you can see Shaun's walls in the back ground. He had his whole place painted in that Shaun Thurton style, he even painted the floors.
Click the photo for the full set. Pictures by tom p.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

So that is Shaun Thurston! I think he left Springfield just about when I showed up, and have never actually encountered him here, tho love his work on Shanty.

I do have possession of his two 4x8' plywood panels that were on the front of Eden (til it was demolished). One has Eve, the other the apple tree, which some idiot cut to 2 4x4' panels.

Guess I'll save them for posterity until some building owner promises to display them in a cool way, unless I hear a better idea of what to do with 'em...

jessica said...

Art bar and house parties. aahh those were the days.

Triclops I said...

Anon,

Shauns a good buddy, would love to display those panels @ Shanty/BBB Complex. Lemme know!

triclopsi@hotmail.com

tom p. on June 15, 2009 at 6:19 PM said...

Anomymous, your the lucky person that got those. I don't know about you but for me those painting were sort of a Springfield icon. It would be cool to see them displayed somewhere in Springfield like Shanty or in the lobby of some nice modern building.

Back the f up see more homie

JaxScene Mobile

Archive

Followers

 

Hit Counter

JAXSCENE. Copyright 2011 All Rights Reserved. Founded by Tom Pennington. "Revolution Two Church" theme heavily restructured and graphic designed by David Welch. jaxscenedavid@gmail.com