Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Urban Visualization - sketchup


by David C. Welch


David here, I've been checking out some of the other featured Urban Facelift Project renders from Content Design Group that I first saw at Urban Jacksonville blog.

This concept really struck me; a chance at seeing some of the same abandoned projects and buildings we overlook turned into something beautiful and productive. I would like to think that this visualization, despite the city's bulldozing of these historic buildings (http://www.urbanjacksonville.info/2009/05/18/118-main-street-shoulda-woulda-coulda/), can generate future appeal into revamping downtown.

So I decided to try a whack at it. I went on the Google machine and looked for photos of other old Jacksonville buildings and saved them to start on what would become a very fun project. To sketch easily, but time consuming, I used Google Sketchup.

AbandonedLaVillaBuilding_topright AbandonedLaVillaBuilding_original AbandonedLaVillaBuilding_front AbandonedLaVillaBuilding_top
Photo used as template from http://www.metrojacksonville.com/



I would like to see more of these, if you want, make some makeovers yourself and mail me at gamophyte@hotmail.com. I'll feature them in a future post. Google Sketchup tutorials here.

4 comments:

Norm Stovall on June 9, 2009 at 3:45 PM said...

You know its interesting that you posted this. With the growing demand for a legal skatespot in the downtown region, I was just trying to put together some kind of contest for busstop regarding how to put a skatespot in an existing space (empty space) somewhere in or around downtown using a photo and Google Sketchup. I think Sketchup is great, and anyone can use it.

David on June 9, 2009 at 3:49 PM said...

Norm, I'm totally about that idea. Let me know if when you do it.

Jason_contentdg on June 9, 2009 at 5:14 PM said...

David,

Awesome job on your Urban Facelift project!

We're glad to see someone else joining in on the fun, and hope to see many more people providing their imagination for virtually making over downtown Jacksonville. There's quite the canvas for people to participate.

We'd love to post your UFP over on our site in the Urban Facelift Project page...let us know.

Thanks,
Jason

David on June 9, 2009 at 6:05 PM said...

Yeah please do, email me when you do

Back the f up see more homie

JaxScene Mobile

Archive

Followers

 

Hit Counter

JAXSCENE. Copyright 2011 All Rights Reserved. Founded by Tom Pennington. "Revolution Two Church" theme heavily restructured and graphic designed by David Welch. jaxscenedavid@gmail.com