Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Craig Van Horn (Folio Weekly's 2003 Man of The Year) Causing Things To Dry Up In Springfield




The tenants in 121 E. 8th Street including myself are currently all running around, meeting people and making phone calls. JEA was here last week trying to find our water valve so they can cut it off. Why? Our landlord, Craig Van Horn, has not been paying his bill. I have been a tenant of this building for the past 5 years and I'm totally paid up on my part of the rent. I was ready to pay this month when I found out my apartment might now be unsuitable to live in within the next 24 hours. I have been trying to do my best to get behind Springfield and support this community, 5 years that is a long time, S.P.A.R don't R.A.P. I guess my fighting days are over. We have talked to JEA, we have found out his bill is close to $15,000 and it needs to be paid. One of our neighbors wants to get the water put in their name because they have been running a business out of two of the apartments for the past two years and like where they are at. They need water to run at that business. The problem is they need to contact Craig Van Horn to close the account but he is nowhere to be found. So it looks like I'm finally moving out of Springfield. I made it through the hookers, the drug dealers, the gun shots, bums, construction, etc. I never thought the thing to make me move was the same person that helped me move here. I guess I won't be getting my deposit back.

posted by tom p.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bummer dude! On the bright side I am trying to find a place and/or roommate for mid-December...

Anonymous said...

Saw him crossing Bay street Saturday morning 11:15 AM during the FL-GA Chaos. I would say go shut of his water, I have a water key if you need to borrow it. I'm sure his personal bills are paid up and he was dressed in nice clothes.

rachel best henley on November 5, 2008 at 11:31 AM said...

Wow, Tom. I am really sorry to hear this. I can't say I'm surprised, but I have always admired you for sticking it out in Springfield when I could not (it only took 9 months of being a tenant of Craig Van Horn to burn through me). Truly, good luck to you and your family in dealing with this.

Anonymous said...

Never really interacted with him directly but watched the issues first hand at 9th and Main the past year and a half (i.e. management changes and their visions to turn Springfield into San Marco or Riverside (instead of diversity) and (Main Street construction)

Back the f up see more homie

JaxScene Mobile

Archive

Followers

 

Hit Counter

JAXSCENE. Copyright 2011 All Rights Reserved. Founded by Tom Pennington. "Revolution Two Church" theme heavily restructured and graphic designed by David Welch. jaxscenedavid@gmail.com